Saturday, December 30, 2006

C.R.E.A.M and all else that is ecomomics

Hip-hop and hustling go together like,...like religion and chastity. Don't worry, I wont go too deep into the realm of personal and spiritual beliefs, do you. I'm simply attempting to exemplify the relation between one and the other. I say that within the culture that is hip-hop, hustling is deeply rooted in the minds, attitudes, and actions of its participants. What, hip-hop was started as a hustle itself.

Perhaps your definition of hustle and mine are different. See in a general sense hustle can be defined as anything from deceptive business practices to the dance that popped off in the 70's. Of course its hard to ignore the negative connotations that at times is attached to the word. Concepts that a hustler rips people off, is ruthless, a con, has no morals, blah blah blah. OK true indeed. However I and all the hustlers just like me have come to embrace the term more specifically.

To us hustle is getting money, and only because we've learned that money rules everything around us. Its the only economics we know: get up, get out, and get something...or be nothing. Rest assured that my hustle and philosophy towards it means no harm to anyone. If anything its about keeping it real in the ultimate sense of the word, truth. My hustle is about putting food ion the table for you and yours. Its not just getting money, its about giving money. Trust, there is more joy in that anyways. Its not about what you do, its about why you do. The hustle I talk about and be's about is basically and simply personal finance...the hip hop way.

Personal finance? Yep, personal finance. Check it, personal finance is defined as the application of the principles of financial economics to an individuals financial decisions. That's white collar language for you, I know. Basically personal finance means:

  • How you stay on top of your money
  • How much money you have
  • How much money you need
  • How much money you owe
  • How much money you make
  • How much money you will make in the future
We're all trying to make a dollar out of 15 cents right? Some make more then others, but who cares about the next mans game of solitaire, do you. So how much you need and will be satisfied with is as unique to you as your fingerprint. Yet I digress.

When I was contemplating the development of this blog I holla'd at Clyde Smith, both because I'm really feeling his blog and I valued his opinion. Aside from advising me to just do it he asked
"Why hip hop? I'm curious but I also think that positioning is crucial if you want something to blow up so it will help me to give you feedback if I know why you feel that represents you and/or is a productive niche"
As obvious as a question as it was I sat back and though about it for a minute. His question had depth. Finally I responded

"...its simple, I love hip hop. That's about it. I live it and I love it, so why not use it to communicate, network and do business? They say you should stick to what you love and you'll never work a day in your life...well I love hip hop. I don't want to go into the music industry itself, simple associate with the culture.

I'm not even sure this concept will blow up. If it does that's cool, if not I'm fine with that too. My main thing right now is to just do it, get it out of my system. I'm not trying to get rich with this, I just figure Ive got a story to tell.

I do believe that there is a market that would appreciate this site because Ive noted as of late there are several success books aimed at the so called hip hop generation coming out. "Soul of a Huslta" by Ata Gonzalez, Russell Simmons' "Hip Hop Law of Success." Your site even noted Suze Orman dipping into hip hop culture during a recent Hip Hop Summit. There are personal finance sites like IWillTeachYouToBeRich written by young people like myself documenting their personal finance endeavors but none for the hip hop generation.

So with all that said I hope that helps you better understand my motives and where I'm coming from."
And there you have it. That's where I'm coming from. Who knows where I'm going...this is just the beginning.

PS: Big ups to Ramit for also giving me the co-sign to get this thing poppin.







0 comments :